Written approval must be obtained from the Board prior to the initiation of any permanent changes to landscape or exterior of your property.  Failure to receive prior written approval can result in the removal of an unapproved item, and/or expenses charged to the homeowner.

Here are the steps you should take to get ARB (Architectural Review Board) approvals:

  1. Get a plan from your designer or write or draw your plans on paper.
  2. Review the governing documents to be sure you are within the guidelines required.
  3. Get the ARB Application from the "Documents" page of this web site & fill it out.
  4. Get the Neighbor Comment Form from the "Documents" page of this web site & present it and the plans to neighbors on any side which will be impacted by your change.
  5. Submit your forms & plans to the ARB in either of the two ways listed below. 
  6. See the "Contact Us" page for details on contact information: 
a. Through Continental Management - Jenny Archer 216-664-1919
b. Directly to a board member.

Every effort will be made by the board to expedite your ARB request.
Ohio Utilities Protection Service is available as a free service to have your utilities marked before you dig.
Contact them at 1-800-362-2764  or www.oups.org
They automatically notify all utilities except Aqua Ohio Water Co.  They requre 48 hours notice (not including weekends).
Aqua Ohio's number is:  1-330-832-5764 x340
Considering putting in a fence, pool, landscaping, home addition, etc.?  Before making changes, remember you are living in a deed restricted community.  

Changes and improvements need to adhere to the bylaws and guidelines (available under the "Documents" page) and need to be approved by the Architectural Review Board (ARB).  The declarant (developer) has assigned responsibility of architectural review for all improvements and changes to the board of trustees.  Please see ARB application forms on the "Documents" page.

Also be aware that the owner is responsible for obtaining any necessary township and/or county permits.  Contact each entity to be sure....before you start.

New Construction Landscaping: 

Homes which began construction after 10/1/06 - If your plans are ready prior to occupation of the home, they should be submitted to the developer for approval.  If they are ready after occupation of the home, they should be submitted to the ARB for approval.  

Homes which began construction prior to 10/1/06 - Submit initial landscape plans to the developer.

Escrow deposits are not currently being collected from the developer or the ARB.

Excerpts from the declarations:
7.4 Landscaping
Buyers will have their Lot landscaped within six (6) months after buyer has taken possession of his home except homes occupied between May 1 and October 1, in which case the landscaping shall take place within sixty (60) days after occupancy.

5.2 Declarant's Plan Approval
(a) No grading or landscaping shall be performed on any Lot, nor shall any building or structure nor any addition thereto nor any alteration thereof be erected, reconstructed, placed or suffered to remain upon any Lot unless and until two (2) copies (one of which may be permanently retained by Declarant) of plans and specifications...has been furnished to and approved in writing by Declarant.

Notes from Kaman & Cusimano, Attorneys at Law - Saturday, August 20, 2011


Porches, decks, landscape water falls, path lighting, window sheds, swimming pools, skylights, mailboxes, exterior light fixtures, hot tubs, and additions costing in the tens of thousands of dollars all have one thing in common. Each and every one has been installed in contradiction to an association's governing documents and each and every one was subsequently removed.

Association living is a choice that purchasers make. When an owner chooses association living, they are also choosing a lifestyle where individual desires must give way to community restrictions. Most associations have a restriction prohibiting any modification to the exterior of the home unless prior written approval of the board is obtained.

Before starting construction, put your intention in writing to your association's board and obtain written approval. Better to get prior approval than to waste hundreds or thousands of dollars installing and then removing an item. In the Georgetown Arms v. Super case, the Ohio Appeals Court stated that “individual owners cannot be permitted to disrupt the integrity of the common scheme through their desire for change.